About Lost Souls Attractions
Originating in 2004, our first memorable haunted house in Shelley started out locally in the home of Desi Richards. Desi’s love and energy for Halloween created many memories for the community. The thrill and energy wore off on friends and family, one of them being Andrew Christensen. Andrew had a vision of an even bigger haunted attraction, so he got to work.
In 2007 he held his first Haunted Attraction at the local Virginia Theater. A couple Years passed and the attraction received the name “The Theater of the Lost Souls” which was fitting after rumors leaked that there were real ghosts spotted in the building!
Right at the 10 year anniversary mark of running “The Theater of the Lost Souls,” the team purchased a historical building next door to the Virginia Theater and decided to open a second haunted attraction. They took on the name “Lost Souls Attractions” and opened “The Hospital of The Lost Souls!”
Every year “The Theater” and “The Hospital” are produced, constructed and run by Andrew and his wife, Camilla Christensen. Their passion, skill and creativity show in the incredibly terrifying experience you’ll have as soon as you step inside.
They are grateful they still have Desi and many other friends, family and volunteers who work hard to help them each season. Without them, they wouldn’t be able to bring their dream and the ghosts to life!
More About the Theater
The Virginia Theater was built 100 years ago by a fan of picture films. It’s modern equipment and elaborate scale seemed out of place in a small town like Shelley, but it never seemed out of place to the community. Many people remember seeing older movies there with friends and working there.
But the theater still has a long and mysterious history, and has gone through many different owners over the century. One of these owners includes a bearded man who used to house venomous snakes and spiders in it before he mysteriously vanished.
In the 1990’s the theater was closed due to construction hazards, but was renovated and reopened to show community plays and host events. During the Halloween season it hosts our very own “The Theater of the Lost Souls!” The perfect setting for a Haunted Attraction; the theater still has a lot of it’s original housing such as the old stage and molding, the lightbox room and even the old coal furnaces under the stage.
Its old age is not all that makes this theater creepy, there are plenty of local stories that leave people convinced it is ACTUALLY haunted. Not too far into running our attraction, our volunteers, friends and even some guests started reporting their ghostly sightings.
There have been sightings of dark shadows, a little girl in white, a tall man with a beard, and an old lady sitting in an auditorium chair. People have also reported hearing strange whispers, and crashes and seeing bright orbs. Do you dare visit with all these other ghostly visitors?
More About the Hospital
Anyone who’s ever lived in the town of Shelley knows there’s an old building on State St with the words “Hospital” still visible at the top. The building was built in 1903 and has played several roles in the community such as, restaurant, club, and room and board, but perhaps the greatest mystery is when it was a hospital from 1909 to 1926. Few people around today can remember any patient stories from the old hospital, but It still shows many signs of once being one.
It has the old dumb waiter, an old, creaky hospital ward with a hallway full of rooms and floral wallpaper. The musty, dark basement was heated by a coal furnace with very little light to guide the workers. And perhaps the eeriest of all, is the old surgical room upstairs with it’s sink still standing. The building still stands strong after surviving a fire, vandalism, weather, and time.